Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flanagan Determined To Improve

Young Liverpool right-back Jon Flanagan has vowed to keep improving and make the most of his chances on Merseyside.

The 18-year-old right-back was plucked from the reserves towards the end of last season and enjoyed a string of Premier League starts.

He also ran out in Saturday's league opener against Sunderland ahead of fellow youngster Martin Kelly after regular right-back Glen Johnson picked up an injury in pre-season.

And while Flanagan fully expects a battle for a regular spot in Kenny Dalglish's side, the teenager is determined to stake his claim.

"I just want to continue improving," he told LFC Magazine.

"There are areas where I need to get better such as going forward and crossing. I need to work on everything.

"With lads like Glen and Martin there is plenty of competition in the squad. That's always good to have.

"It means if you do get in the team you have to take the chance."

Kelly's breakthrough campaign was in full flow last season until a hamstring problem picked up at West Ham in February cut his season short.

The 21-year-old impressed ahead of his injury setback and Flanagan hopes he can emulate his team-mate's progress.

"Martin is only a few years older than me," he added. "He came in last season and did brilliantly. He showed exactly how to grab an opportunity."

Flanagan has already operated in three positions for Liverpool and hopes that versatility can help keep him in the side.

"My natural position is right-back but I'd play anywhere for the club," he said.

"Left-back is okay too and I came on in midfield (in the pre-season friendly) against Valencia. I don't mind if I have a new role as a holding midfielder now.

"Playing on either side isn't much different. You have the same job to do, you're just on the other flank. Obviously I'm more comfortable on the right because I'm right-footed, but the left side is fine."

No comments: