Saturday, August 13, 2011

Enrique Wants To Catch Liverpool Train To Glory

New Liverpool signing Jose Enrique is determined to make the most of his opportunity to play at a "big" club and has set his sights on winning the Premier League.

The Spanish left-back completed his £6 million move from Newcastle in time to be considered for today's season-opener at home to Sunderland. It would be a gamble for the manager, Kenny Dalglish, to throw him into the side after just one training session but Enrique, who was in the last year of his contract at St James' Park and had told the club he would not be renewing it, is keen to get started.

"In Spain there is a saying, 'When the train comes in, you have to take it'," said the 25-year-old, who moved to Newcastle in 2007 in a £6.3m transfer from Villarreal. "This is the first time a big club has come in for me and I had to take it. I have come to one of the biggest clubs not just in England, but in the world. This is one of the happiest days of my life. My ambition is to win everything with Liverpool. This year we won't play in the Champions League, so the most important thing is to try to win the League."

Enrique is Dalglish's fifth summer signing, following Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and Alexander Doni. Those signings, and the January acquisitions of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, convinced the defender his future lies at Anfield.

"The club has won a lot of things, including the Champions League," he said. "They have amazing players and I hope to win things here. I am excited (by the signings), it shows Liverpool's ambition. They spent a lot of money in January on Andy and Luis Suarez and this summer they've spent a lot of money on other players.

"You can see they have big ambitions and that's why I came here – because I want to win things and I think I can do that here. I have already played for Newcastle in pre-season, I am fit and if the manager needs me, I am ready to play."

No comments: