Thursday, August 04, 2011

Downing Not Feeling Pressure

Stewart Downing is determined not to let his hefty transfer fee weigh heavily on him as he prepares for his first season with Liverpool.

The Reds splashed out a figure believed to be around £20million to bring the winger to Anfield this summer from Aston Villa, where he had been voted player of the season.

"It's about picking up where I finished off last season with Aston Villa, carrying on my form and not doing anything differently. Just because of the fee, it doesn't mean I have to change," he said.

"I'm being brought in to do what I did at Aston Villa, whether that's on the left or right. I'm not sure where the manager sees me playing but I just want to do well for Liverpool.

"Last season was probably my most consistent season and I just want that to continue. It's a big season for me personally and the club, and I want to get in the England team as well. Hopefully Liverpool will see the best of me."

No comments: