Friday, July 22, 2011

Riise Would Have Considered Liverpool Move

New Fulham signing John Arne Riise has expressed disappointment that Liverpool did not press harder to sign him before he made the move to Craven Cottage.

Kenny Dalglish is thought to be in the market for a left-back following the sale of Paul Konchesky to Leicester, with Aly Cissokho of Lyon heavily linked to Anfield. Fabio Aurelio is an existing option within the squad for Dalglish, while he employed Glen Johnson on the left side of defence for much of last season.

Riise, who left Liverpool for Roma in 2008 after being frozen out by Rafa Benitez, has hinted he would have been willing to solve Dalglish's headache by returning to the Reds.

"I've heard people say they haven't really replaced me and that is not my concern," Riise said. "If they wanted me back they could have made an effort. I know a few of the fans wanted me back. I achieved a lot when I was at Liverpool and this is my type of football. I needed a new challenge after that and improved as a player but it was always in my mind to come back."

Riise makes his debut at Craven Cottage on Thursday as Fulham defend a 3-1 lead in the Europa League second-round qualifier with Northern Irish side Crusaders.

No comments: