Saturday, July 16, 2011

Liverpool Was The Only Club I Wanted To Join, Says Downing

Stewart Downing has revealed he was desperate to secure a move to Liverpool after the winger finally signed for the Reds from Aston Villa on Friday night.

The 26-year-old winger had long been linked with a move to Anfield, with the England international finally putting pen to paper after the two clubs agreed a fee, believed to be around the £20m mark, earlier this week.

Downing, who becomes Kenny Dalglish’s fourth major signing of the summer after Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni, says he immediately had his heart set on joining Liverpool once he learned of their interest.

“It’s a great feeling and I’m very happy to be here,” Downing told Liverpool’s website. “It’s been a long time coming and I’ve had to wait a few weeks, but I’m really pleased to be here.

“With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come here and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go.”

Downing, who handed in a transfer request at Villa Park earlier this week, added: “It will be a great feeling to run out at Anfield. It’s always nice to come and play here. The atmosphere is always great and the fans are brilliant.

“When I wanted to come to Liverpool, it was the first thing I thought of – playing at Anfield in front of those great fans. I’m really looking forward to it.”

No comments: