Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jonjo Shelvey Looking Forward To Playing With World-Class Stars At Liverpool

Liverpool youngster Jonjo Shelvey says he is glad to see new arrivals join the club and is not worried about competition for places.

The former Charlton Athletic player made 21 appearances last season as new manager Kenny Dalglish gave younger players more time on the pitch.

But the Scot has since signed midfielders Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing as he aims to take Liverpool back into the top four.

The new arrivals mean it will be harder for the likes of Shelvey to get any first-team action, but he insists that he is just pleased to train with world-class players.

"I think it's good for the youths and reserves," he told Match Magazine.

"The gaffer proved last season that he's not afraid to put young players in. We had six academy boys on the bench for one game, which is great for the club.

"I like the transfer window. I want new players to come into the club because I want to work with the best players in the world. I always keep an eye on the moves because it can be really interesting."

With the plethora of new midfield signings, there has been speculation that Shelvey could be sold or loaned out, but the England Under-19 captain says the speculation is news to him as well.

He added: "I get a lot of mates asking, 'Is that true? Is this true?', when they see rumours about me or my team-mates.

“I just have to say, 'I don't know - leave me alone!' They keep asking and asking, but I tell them they can't believe anything until it's happened.

"I think a lot of the stuff that gets printed are just rumours. Some will come true, but some are rubbish.

"We hear rumours all the time, but to be honest we don't get told much of what the club is doing until a deal has gone through."

In addition to the four major signings made this summer, including goalkeeper Doni from Roma, Liverpool also swooped for Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll in January - and Shelvey is delighted with the transfer business the club have conducted.

"He [John Henry] told everyone his plans when he first came in and he's backed up every word," he said. "It's great to have an owner like that.

"His time at the club has started really well and all the players are looking forward to seeing him put his plans into action.

"The club has done some good business. January was exciting when Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll arrived. I was ill the day Andy signed and I remember waking up that morning, flicking on Sky Sports News and just wanting to get into training."

No comments: