Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dalglish Set To Give Staunton Coaching Job With Liverpool

Former Ireland manager Steve Staunton is on the verge of returning to Liverpool in a coaching role.

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, who took Staunton to Anfield as a 17-year-old in 1986, is expected to make the announcement on Monday when he travels over to watch a Liverpool XI play Bray at the Carlisle Grounds.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday to launch a Dundalk Legends v Liverpool Legends fund-raising game at Oriel Park on July 23, the 102-times capped former defender confirmed that a deal, which would see him return to work in the top-flight for the first time since leaving Aston Villa in 2003, was almost agreed.

When asked if his new club's manager would be in Ireland on Monday night, Staunton -- who played 109 times for Liverpool in two spells fat the club -- simply responded "possibly."

Since leaving Darlington in 2010, Staunton has filled a number of scouting positions, most notably for former Irish team-mate and manager Mick McCarthy at Wolves and, from Christmas last year, with Middlesborough.

While reluctant to speak about his new job, Staunton was happy to talk about his 21-month tenure in charge of the Irish team and suggested he should have been afforded more time in the job.

"We were given certain agendas and we achieved those. We took young players through, we were to improve the seeding and we did that against the teams like the Czech Republic and Germany who were rated sixth and seventh in the world. My record speaks for itself.

"I've no problems with the FAI. I got my chance, I gave it a go and I'll move on.

"Did it hurt? Everything hurts, but the one good thing is that I know I did my job. I can hold my head up high."

No comments: