Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dalglish Considers Shock £5m Bid For Spurs Defender

According to reports in France, Liverpool is considering a shock move for exit-bound Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong.

The Cameroon international, signed from Newcastle in 2009 for £8m, made just seven Premier League starts last season and has grown frustrated at his role within the club.

He made his intentions to leave clear two months ago when he revealed he needed to play regular football.

"I am a guy who simply has to play," the 25-year-old stated. "I would never just sit there and take the money.

"I am reaching an age where, if I don't play week in, week out, and if I don't feel real trust in me, then I can't stay, no matter which club it is. This is the situation at Tottenham. I have to try to find a way out because I have to try to play. The only thing I want is to play."

His exit from Tottenham seems imminent and it was thought he would make a return to France, where he previously played for Metz.

Ligue 1 clubs Marseille and Paris Saint Germain are both reportedly interested in signing Bassong but Liverpool could be ready to swoop in for the former Newcastle centre-half.

It is being claimed that they are ready to offer £5m for his services and hope Spurs are willing to take a small loss to offload Bassong quickly.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is aware that he must sell to free up any more transfer funds having already spent over £100m since New England Sports Ventures took over at Anfield.

Forwards Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez were brought in January while midfielders Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing have been added to the squad this summer.

However, Dalglish knows he must strengthen his defensive options and is reportedly keen on the powerful and versatile Bassong who can operate across the back-line. He would also be a much cheaper alternative to £10m-rated Birmingham centre-back Scott Dann, rumoured to be Dalglish's first choice.

No comments: