Monday, July 18, 2011

Cole: We All Know Downing's Class

Joe Cole has welcomed the addition of Stewart Downing as he bids to make a big impression for Liverpool ahead of the 2011-12 campaign.

The No.10 is well aware of the qualities the winger possesses from their time together with England and believes he isn't the only shrewd move Kenny Dalglish has made in the summer transfer market.

Cole told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We all know what Stewie (Downing) can do.

"Jordan (Henderson) has come in too and Charlie (Adam) has looked good in the games in Asia. They are all really good signings."

Cole's displays during the club's Asia tour suggest he looks to have benefited from an extended break over the summer.

The 29-year-old acknowledges a big season lies ahead of him but he is keen to take it one step at a time.

"I've been happy with my performances. This is the longest I've ever had off in the summer during my career. I've had six weeks off, so it's nice to get going again," he said.

"Now I just want to get started. I feel great physically. I'm happy with how I'm performing. I want to get a couple of 90-minute run outs under my belt. There are four weeks until the start of the Premier League so there's still some time to go. I'm enjoying it.

"I want to take it day by day. Training has been good. I want to get myself fit and get a little bit better every day."

Cole featured for 45 minutes as Liverpool ran out 6-3 winners in front of over 80,000 fans against a Malaysia XI on Saturday.

It was yet another highlight on what proved to be a hugely successful Asia tour.

Cole said: "It's been fantastic. To have that many fans for a friendly game was unbelievable. It was a full house, there were flares - everything.

"You see what Liverpool means to these people. It's my first proper tour with Liverpool and it's a great way to start the season.

"Everyone has enjoyed it. We've scored lots of goals, had no injuries and claimed two wins. It's been a successful tour."

No comments: