Sunday, July 17, 2011

Charlie Adam Overjoyed After Scoring His First Goal For Liverpool

Charlie Adam admitted that he is very happy to have opened his goal scoring account for Liverpool.

The Reds took on Malaysia in a pre-season friendly that ended 6-3 in favour of Kenny Dalglish's men, with the former Blackpool midfielder opening the scoring after successfully converting a penalty.

"Obviously I'm delighted to get on the scoresheet," Adam told the club's official website. "The performance is always the most important thing. I'm lucky because Andy [Carroll] should have taken the penalty and he was nice enough to give it to me.

"It was my first real opportunity to score and I'm delighted. But I'd rather get it in the Premier League than in a friendly."

The man in charge ordered the 25-year-old to re-take his spot-kick after he had put the ball in the back of the net, but the ex-Rangers man sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to grab his maiden goal.

"It was a similar situation to the one I had last season at Tottenham when I had to take the kick twice. I knew what was going to come but I'm just glad it went in this time. To get a goal for this club means a lot, but like I say, it'll be more special when I get one in the Premier League."

Adam was also surprised by the enormous support that he and the team have received, and said: "To come here and have 80,000 supporting you is incredible. It just shows how big this club is. We'll need the support over the season and hopefully we can repay them with good performances and results."

No comments: