Friday, June 24, 2011

Steven Gerrard Could Miss Start Of Season After Injury Recovery

Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool captain, is in a race to be fit for the start of the new season but says he is feeling "as good as ever".

Gerrard is currently undergoing a program of rehabilitation - the club's physios have been working with him every day at his holiday home in Portugal - after groin surgery in March.

He said: "I've had time to get my body right, get my body strong. I'm still four or five weeks away from playing a game but I believe I'll come back in better physical condition than I've ever been."

"I want to come back with a bang, I want to have a big season," Gerrard said.

"It's been non-stop football for me since I started when I was 17. I've never had a period of more than four or five weeks out of the game, so it's been nice to rest mentally.

"You don't want to miss games but when you're watching them it gives you that edge, that buzz to get back."

It is has been the longest spell on the sidelines of his career but the England midfielder is confident he and Liverpool will feel the benefit when the new campaign kicks off in August.

"I'll come back hungry and hopefully there's a very productive season ahead for me," Gerrard added.

"I've had a rest mentally, my injury's coming on well and I can't wait for the season to start.

"There's still a lot of time for me to achieve bigger and better things. I'd like to finish my career with a few more trophies.

"I always look at the 35 marker. If I get there and I'm still involved with Liverpool I'll be delighted but at the moment I'm feeling as good as ever."

No comments: