Friday, May 06, 2011

John Arne Riise Refuses To Rule Out Return To Liverpool

Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has fuelled speculation linking him with a return to Anfield, after refusing to rule out a move away from Roma this summer.

The Norwegian only has one full season left to run on his contract for the Italian side, who are likely to may well listen to offers for the left-back this summer to avoid losing him for nothing next.

The 30-year-old departed Rafa Benitez’s Liverpool side in 2008, but reports suggest current boss Kenny Dalglish is keen to bring him back.

The Merseysiders seem desperate to sign a left-back, having been forced into playing England right-back Glen Johnson in the position of late.

There have already been rumours linking the club with a move for Everton’s Leighton Baines, and Riise would be a less complicated, costly and controversial target.

"I am flattered by reports linking me with a return to England," Riise, a Champions League winner with the Reds, is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"Liverpool are close to my heart. They are a great club and I have some good memories. I have a contract here until June 2012, so you never know."

Another club interested in Riise is Marseille, and the Norwegian has past experience playing in Ligue 1.

Riise said: "I love France as well. I played in Monaco and also enjoyed my time there."

No comments: