Friday, May 27, 2011

Eljero Elia: I Want Liverpool Move Because They Are The Biggest Club In England

Hamburg winger Eljero Elia wants to move to Liverpool because they are the biggest team in England.

The Daily Mirror reports the 24-year-old was the subject of interest from Reds’ manager Kenny Dalglish in January but Hamburg would not let him go.

Dalglish is reportedly still keen on the wide man and will consider another bid this summer.

The Holland international is still keen on a move to Anfield but Liverpool will face competition from Juventus and Everton for his signature.

Elia shot to prominence under Steve McClaren at FC Twente and secured a £6.8million move to the Bundesliga club in 2009.

But he has now fallen out with head coach Armin Veh and is adamant he will wants to move to either the Premier League or Serie A.

“My agent asked what was going on. It became clear that the management wanted me to play, but Veh refused to play me,” he told NUsport.

“There was enough interest. Liverpool, Everton and Juventus wanted me in the winter, loaning me out initially with an option to buy. Wolfsburg immediately offered €20 million and a top salary.

“Wolfsburg was fighting against relegation, my old coach Steve McClaren was under pressure. However, my instinct said no.”

“Liverpool remains England’s top team and Juventus are still the biggest club in Italy. Bigger than AC Milan, Inter and the rest, but Hamburg did not want to let me go.”

No comments: