Friday, May 20, 2011

Clarke Still Has Manager Ambition

Steve Clarke admits he still has managerial ambitions - but claims a three-year contract working alongside Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool was too good to turn down.

The 47-year-old is one of the most respected coaches in the game, with former boss Jose Mourinho once saying, 'I think he is much, much better than many managers who are in charge of teams at the moment.'

Clarke made no secret of wanting to become a manager after leaving West Ham last summer - but that desire is now on hold after signing a long-term deal as first-team coach under Dalglish.

In a fascinating interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, Clarke said: "Circumstances dictate what happens in football. After I left West Ham at the end of last season I thought I would try my hand at management. Nothing came up in that short period - one or two possibilities but nothing concrete developed.

"Then I came here and I've enjoyed it. Working with Kenny I can improve myself as a coach and a person. I can learn a lot from Kenny as a manager, as I've done from previous managers I've worked with.

"My ambition to be a manager will never go away until I do it. But that's something for the future. For now it's to focus on the job at hand.

"It was a great moment to sign the contract. It's always nice when you get rewarded for doing a good job. It's good to settle everything down and have positive things to look forward to in the future.

"Obviously when you come to a place and you're on a short-term contract, you don't quite put down the roots you should because you're never quite sure if you're going to be there long-term. Now I've got a three-year contract I'll be looking to buy a place and settle down in the Liverpool area."

No comments: