Sunday, March 06, 2011

Reina Making No Promises

Goalkeeper Jose Reina cannot promise his 'eternal love' to Liverpool, despite reiterating he is happy with life at Anfield.

The 28-year-old, who claims he was the subject of offers from other clubs last summer, is contracted on Merseyside until 2016.

But while the shot-stopper has stressed he is currently content at the Premier League club, he is making no long-term commitment to the Reds.

Reina told The Guardian: "I am not announcing my departure - far from it. I've said lots of times I'm very happy in England and comfortable at Liverpool.

"But I'm not prepared to swear eternal love to anyone. That's impossible. Any player who says that is lying.

"I can't say much because I have a contract with Liverpool. But eternal love doesn't exist. No-one is master of his own destiny. When a player is at club he has to give everything - that is all you can ask of him."

Arsenal has been linked previously with Reina and should he ever make it known he wants to leave Liverpool there could be strong interest from several clubs.

The Spaniard admits his future could hinge on the willingness of the club's American owners, Fenway Sports Group, to invest in the side.

"I would never say, 'I'm never going' because even I don't know that," he said.

"It depends on how this season finishes, on how competitive we can be.

"It depends, above all, on the ambition of the owners in building a better team; hopefully, they will be generous in their efforts but we know the economic reality."

No comments: