Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Lucas Wants New Contract

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva believes he has done enough to deserve a new contract at Anfield.

The Brazil international will enter the final year of his current deal at the end of the season and there have yet to be any discussions regarding an extension.

Lucas has shown significant improvement this campaign, despite almost being sold by Roy Hodgson last summer, and he has remained a part of Kenny Dalglish's plans since January.

The 24-year-old accepts that club owners, the Fenway Sports Group, and Dalglish, if he is offered a long-term contract, are likely to make summer changes to Liverpool's squad as they continue their rebuilding process.

But Lucas hopes that he is not a player who is moved on, as he told the Liverpool Daily Post: "Always in the summer a few players will go and a few players will come, so we have to wait and see. We want to finish this season well.

"I hope to be one of those that stays in the summer. Why not? I still have one year left on my contract after this season so I have a commitment with the club, and I'm doing everything to show I am capable to be here.

"There haven't been any talks over a new deal. I'm just looking at finishing this season. This season has been very good for me, and I just want to keep that going.

"I only have to convince two people - Dalglish and the Brazil national team manager. I just have to keep going."

No comments: