Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Skrtel Denies Wolfsburg Talk

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has insisted that he wants to stay at the club and denied any interest from Wolfsburg.

The Slovakia international has been an ever-present this season at centre-back in the Premier League for the Reds, making 27 appearances and scoring one goal.

Despite being a mainstay in Liverpool's backline, Skrtel has come in for criticism due to some lacklustre showings.

Although since Kenny Dalglish took the reins following Roy Hodgson's dismissal he has looked a stronger player.

Wolfsburg, who recently sacked former England coach Steve McClaren and sold star striker Edin Dzeko to Manchester City, are reported to be keen on landing the uncompromising 26-year-old.

However Skrtel, who moved to the Reds from Zenit St Petersburg in January 2008, insists he is happy at Anfield and has no intention of moving on.

"I have learned about the interest of Wolfsburg only from the internet and don't even know how true this news is," said Skrtel, who has three-and-a-half years of his contract left to run on Merseyside.

"One thing is for sure, though - I have a valid contract with Liverpool, I am happy there and if they are happy with me, too, I am not going anywhere."

Skrtel was introduced for the final six minutes of Liverpool's dour goalless draw with Sparta Prague in the Europa League on Thursday, but was happy with Dalglish's decision not to play him from the start.

"It was the manager's decision not to have me in the starting line-up and I fully respect it. I didn't try to find out why he had decided that way," Skrtel continued.

"The manager changed the defensive system to three centre backs late in the game as we expected Sparta to send long balls out to (Leonard) Kweuke and (Tomas) Pekhart."

He was also positive ahead of the second leg at Anfield on Thursday, believing that his team has more than enough to make it to the last 16.

"He took down one striker and sent me on, out of which it was clear we did not want to concede a late goal to keep it 0-0. I think this result is good for us for the second leg, but we need to be more offensive," he added.

"I believe that we will score some goals and advance. We had expected the long winter break to show on Sparta, but it did not show on their game and they could have won.

"From Sparta I was impressed most by Kweuke, who is strong on the ball and in my eyes he was their best player."

No comments: