Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Pepe Reina Hints At Liverpool Exit

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has suggested he could follow Fernando Torres out of Anfield unless the club qualifies for the Champions League next season.

Reina, arguably the Premier League's outstanding goalkeeper over recent seasons, told Spanish radio: "I won’t lie - I want to play in the Champions League and challenge for titles."

Reina has repeatedly pledged his loyalty to Liverpool, but following departures of his compatriots Xabi Alonso, Rafa Benítez and Fernando Torres over the last 18 months, speculation has increased about the Spaniard's Merseyside future.

Should he leave Liverpool a move to Spain would appear unlikely with neither Real Madrid nor Barcelona looking for a goalkeeper.

That is not the case among England's elite however, and Reina added: "Yes, of course, [Edwin] Van der Sar will hang up his gloves in the summer and Arsenal are also looking for a keeper. A lot of teams are looking for a keeper.

"There is nothing I can do or say, because I have a contract with Liverpool which I renewed last year. But I would like to be challenging for titles and be in a team with a realistic chance of winning things."

"Before, we were challenging for the Champions League and we were in the race for the title right til the end, but sadly in the last couple of years we haven't been.

"Nothing is fundamental but it [the Champions League is important]. I want to aspire to the maximum in my career, and that means trophies."

No comments: