Friday, February 18, 2011

Newcastle's Enrique Flattered By Liverpool Link

Jose Enrique claims he would be ready to join Liverpool because of "broken promises" at Newcastle.

The 25-year-old Spaniard - who insists he is desperate for Champions League football and to represent his country - says Manchester United and Aston Villa are also keen on him, but it is Liverpool who appear to head of the queue for the £6m-rated full-back.

Anfield director of Football Damien Commolli is said to have been impressed by the left-back's display as Newcastle kept a clean sheet away to Blackburn last weekend.

"It is flattering that Liverpool is interested," Enrique said last night. "I've also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me.

"I'm happy at Newcastle, but I'm not closing the door to anything. I love the fans here at Newcastle. I have suffered with the team, with the relegation two years ago and I have to be realistic.

"Newcastle is not working well, it has made promises it has not been able to keep and I am ambitious. I want to play in the Champions League, major competitions and to go to the Spanish team.

"I have the dream of the senior national team debut. I work to get the chance someday. I want to be prepared to do well in the red shirt."

The star, who has 16 months left on his current contract, added: "I've always said I'm fine at the club. But, like any player, I want to win titles.

"I want to say to my children in the future I've played in the Champions League or for Spain."

No comments: