Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Liverpool Target Eljero Elia Unsettled At Hamburg

Eljero Elia came on as a halftime substitute in last week's 3-1 victory for Holland over Austria and did what he has done so many times before, completely change the complexion of the match with his pace and flair.

Yet, despite being in such form, Elia isn't getting opportunities at his current club, Hamburg, and as a result, the Liverpool target may soon want out.

''Apparently there is not much confidence in me,'' he told Voetbal International. ''That hurts. I feel strong and would like to show the fans what I can do. It is very frustrating.

''I have started eight games and we have won seven of them so I cannot have done that badly. I don't know what I have done wrong, I have not been told. I know that I am not a bad player and I am in good shape.

''I am a player who needs confidence. If I play every week I will improve," said Elisa. "No-one can accuse me of not working hard enough, I am as fit as a fiddle.''

Though he hasn't spent much time in the shop window for Armin Vey's club this season, the interest in Elia surely hasn't gone away -- even as Hamburg has been unwilling to sell.

''Last summer, Juventus and Wolfsburg lodged bids for me and in January there was real interest from four teams in the Premier League. Hamburg did not let me go and I resigned myself to staying. I have not created any unrest. The club cannot blame me, I give more than 100% every game," said Elia.

That situation, though, isn't one that is sustainable, as far as the 24-year-old rising star is concerned.

''I'll just keep working hard in training every day. I've been doing that all season and will not change. But at the end of the season we will still have to look at the situation.

''If I am still a substitute then we will sit around the table and see what the consequences might be.''

Width remains Liverpool's area of greatest need heading into the summer signing period. Given Elia's unrest and Liverpool's prior interest, it would be no surprise to see the powers that be at Anfield move to bring in the Dutch winger.

No comments: