Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Liverpool Fail In Attempt To Prevent Torres Making Chelsea Debut Against Them

During transfer negotiations, Liverpool reportedly tried to strike a gentlemen's agreement with Chelsea that ensured Fernando Torres would not face his former side when the two teams meet at Stamford Bridge.

However, the Reds failed in their attempt and the Spanish World Cup winner will make his debut against his former club on Sunday, barring a sudden injury.

The two clubs - and the player - certainly left the deal late as Torres' transfer officially went through at 10:47 PM (GMT), thirteen minutes before the window closed.

The delay was due to Liverpool's request for Torres' debut to be delayed until the following week, according to The Daily Mail.

But the attempt failed and all eyes will be on the 26-year-old when he takes to the field on Sunday.

Speaking earlier about the prospect of facing the Reds in his first game for the champions, the former Atletico Madrid striker said: "It is like the destiny. It is not perfect for me but we will see what happens and I only have good words about Liverpool.
"They made me a top player and gave me the chance to play at the top level.

"I will never say anything bad about Liverpool. I have been very happy there, but now the history is different and I am playing for Chelsea.

"If I have the chance to play, I will do my best for Chelsea and hopefully I can score.

"I felt from last summer that I need to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer.

"I am joining a team that is at the top level. There is not another level after Chelsea."

Chelsea warmed up for the mouthwatering clash with an entertaining 4-2 win over Sunderland, while Liverpool face Stoke City at Anfield on Wednesday.

No comments: