Thursday, February 10, 2011

Glen Johnson Unfazed By Left-Back Role

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson has revealed that he is not bothered which position he plays as long as he is in the team.

A right-back by trade, the 26-year-old has been switched to the opposite flank by boss Kenny Dalglish as a result of Martin Kelly's impressive form and a dearth of options down the left.

But the England international admits that he is not perturbed by where he plays as long as the team is winning and he is consistently performing.

The former Chelsea player has adapted well at left-back and in the six games that Dalglish has been at the helm that is where the Scot has elected him to play with impressive results.

Liverpool has put a run together of four wins and four clean sheets to boot.

"There were no real discussions about it," he told LFC Weekly. "Kenny said I was playing left-back and that was just fine with me.

"The team isn't about me so if I'm asked to do a job elsewhere, whether it be in the short or long-term, I'm happy to give it my best.

"Everyone knows I'm a right-back by trade, but if the team is winning and I'm in the team - it doesn't bother me where I play."

Johnson has been used further up the park with former clubs and he revealed he’d happily play there as well without any hesitance.

“Like with left-back, if the manager asked me to play there, I'd do it, no question - without any complaints,” he continued.

"I played in a more advanced role quite a few times at Chelsea. I remember when we beat United at Old Trafford to practically clinch the title and I enjoyed it out there [as a right midfielder].

"I think all of the Liverpool squad has the same attitude now - do your best at whatever you're asked to do. It's not about individuals here."

While Johnson has been deployed on the left side of defence, young Kelly has been used on the right and the senior star praised the prospect for the impressive performances he has put in so far.

"Since coming in against Manchester United, he has been very consistent in everything he has done and acted very maturely about the place," he added.

"He deserves to be where he is at the moment and it can only be for the good of the club if it is producing its own again.

"Fans like to see local boys come through and when they do, it gives everyone a lift."

No comments: