Friday, February 04, 2011

Fernando Llorente Admits He Turned Down Liverpool

Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente has admitted that Liverpool were interested in signing him during the winter transfer window as a replacement for their departing Spanish international Fernando Torres.

Llorente and los Leones were opposed to the star striker being sold in January, with clubs such as Tottenham and Real Madrid both rumoured to be interested.

"Representatives from Liverpool arrived in Bilbao and had talks with the leadership of our club, but obviously I did not want to be put on the transfer list. So to talk about this any longer makes no sense," Llorente informed Marca.

"I understand the fans of Athletic who don't like talk of clubs that are interested in me, but it shows that I'm doing my job well. At the moment my football future is associated with Atheltic," the Spanish striker confirmed.

No comments: