Sunday, February 13, 2011

Danny Wilson: I Had No Interest In Making Stupid Loan Move To Celtic

Danny Wilson insists he would have been STUPID to join Celtic on loan last month.

The former Rangers kid, who moved to Liverpool for £2million in the summer, was wanted by Hoops manager Neil Lennon when he faced a defensive crisis.

Celtic spoke to the Reds about taking Wilson on loan but the bid was rejected by gaffer Kenny Dalglish, who was instrumental in taking the 19-year-old to Merseyside.

Now the defender has spoken for the first time about why moving to Celtic was NEVER an option.

He said: "My reaction when I heard Celtic had asked about a loan was like everyone else's. It's just stupid, isn't it?

"After being associated with Rangers for so long - I was there from age nine - it was never on the cards.

"I have no interest in going to Celtic. Would I have gone to another club on loan? Maybe.

"But after speaking to the manager he doesn't really want me to go anywhere. That was good to hear."

Wilson is enjoying life under legend Dalglish, who replaced Roy Hodgson in January. He's now determined to show he's worthy of a place in the starting line-up after playing just three times for the top team this term.

He said: "Kenny is a huge figure at Liverpool. He got instant respect as soon as he walked in the door.

"He's happy with how I've been performing in training. If an opportunity arises he won't hesitate to put me in."

Wilson won his second Scotland cap in midweek against Northern Ireland. And Craig Levein has admitted he expects Wilson and teenage Blackburn star Grant Hanley to be his future defensive pairing.

That's music to Wilson's ears as he played alongside Hanley at Murray Park.

He said: "It gave me great encouragement to hear Craig say that about us.

"I played with Grant when we were nine at Rangers. We were defenders even as kids."

Anfield No.2 Steve Clarke is pleased to see Wilson getting a chance with Scotland and believes it will help his Liverpool career.

Clarke said: "It's a fantastic honour to get picked by your country. That's Danny's reward for all his hard work."

No comments: