Saturday, February 05, 2011

Carroll Eyes Gerrard Link

Andy Carroll admits he can’t wait to link up with Steven Gerrard and hopes his move to Liverpool can take his game to the next level.

The new Reds No.9 believes his switch to Anfield will provide him with a fresh challenge and has set his sights on making an impact on the European stage.

"Liverpool's an instant draw, it's massive," he said. "Kenny Dalglish is a great bloke, a fantastic manager and I'm looking forward to working with him.

"Newcastle was my hometown and I loved it and the fans.

"That's what I've come here for - a new challenge and hope I can do the same here. I want to love the fans as I did up there.

"At Newcastle there were great players, here at Liverpool you've got Steven Gerrard who's outstanding and that's what I'm looking forward to, playing on a higher stage, like in Europe.

"I've got to concentrate on Liverpool and everything else will fall into place. If I get a call from England it's great.

"But Liverpool is number one at the minute. I know what I can do, people can say whatever, I'll still go out and do my best.

"It has been a massive change in the last year or so; getting promoted, getting the number nine shirt, getting in the England squad and then coming to one of the world’s greatest clubs.

"It’s very different to playing in the Championship. It has been so fast and thinking about it now, it does seem a very big change.

"It's a great chance for me to show what I can do. I've been in Newcastle all my life, but stepping away from people I've known is a big change."

The decision to swap his beloved Newcastle for Merseyside may have come out of the blue for Carroll, but he insists he already feels settled in the north-west.

He explained: "I said it felt like home after three days because of the welcome I've had. I know a lot of people here through Joey and Ryan Taylor so I've got a lot of friends down here who were practically up in Newcastle every week.

"My girlfriend is already down here so we're looking for places to stay. I'm looking forward to it."

Carroll is the latest in a long line of No.9s that achieved hero-status on Tyneside.

He admits he has modelled his game on former Magpies star, Alan Shearer and was quick to secure his idol's old shirt when it became available.

"I watched Shearer as a fan. It was the (No.9) shirt I wanted to wear when I was growing up," he said.

"So, getting it and being handed it was a great feeling.

"I knew the number nine shirt was empty. So, I thought I'd go in and ask for it. I'd had a couple of days off and they pulled me in and gave me it.

"I know I can play football, I know I can score goals and so I know I can handle the spotlight. I don't feel any pressure because I believe in myself to score goals and create them.

"Everyone knows what the Newcastle No.9 shirt means, and what it means at Anfield as well, with players like Fowler and Rush. But I want it because I know I can handle it.

"Now I've got the number nine at Liverpool which is great as well."

Despite receiving an ovation from the Kop ahead of Wednesday's victory over Stoke, Carroll has yet to feature at Anfield after missing out on his only chance back in May 2009.

Carroll said: "I was on the bench at Anfield when I was younger here, but Joey (Barton) got sent off when I was supposed to be coming on.

"I was stripped ready to come on, but got pushed back to the bench.

"That was the only time."

No comments: