Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Skrtel Fired Up By Increased Competition

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel accepts that his form has not always been the best this season, but he is spurred on to improve by the growing competition within the Reds` squad.

The Slovakia centre-back has put in a couple of shaky performances in recent weeks against the likes of Blackpool and Everton. However, he helped secure the club's first Barclays Premier League clean sheet since December 6 in last weekend's 3-0 win at Wolves.

Skrtel is currently being paired with Daniel Agger, but with Jamie Carragher set to return from a dislocated shoulder in the coming weeks, Sotirios Kyrgiakos waiting in the wings, centre-back Martin Kelly excelling on the right and youngster Danny Wilson not even getting close to the squad, he knows he cannot afford to let his standards slip.

"I have played in almost every game this season and each time I always try to do my best for the team," he said. "I know I have made a few mistakes and haven't always played well, but I don't know any player who doesn't make a mistake so I just try to do my best.

"It's important to keep playing well because we have a good squad and there is strong competition for places. I think that is a good thing because everyone has to work hard and make it hard for the manager when it comes to who he will pick in his team."

No comments: