Friday, January 14, 2011

Jay Ready For First Team Fight

Jay Spearing is looking to fight for a first team place following his return from a serious training ground injury.

The former Academy youngster has been out since December 19 after he cracked a small bone just above his ankle in his fibula during training at Melwood, and is hoping to play a role in Kenny Dalglish's squad as soon as possible.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv, Spearing said: "The injury was very frustrating really and it all happened on my own.

"I went to block a shot and my studs got stuck in the ground. I went over and then I heard a crack.

"Obviously we have to get on with these things, the timing of it wasn't the best for me but you just have to pick yourself up and get on with it.

"I feel a lot better now and I've got as game under my belt so I can start fighting for a game and show Kenny what I can do - hopefully at the weekend with the derby coming up."

The midfielder, who Sammy Lee called an infectious character to have around the training ground, captained the reserve side's 2-1 victory over Sunderland on Tuesday, which was his first game since picking up the injury.

"Obviously I need to get a few games before I can get back involved with the first team," he added.

"It was a good game. We started off very well and in the first half we played a lot of good football in and around their half. In the second half we seemed to tire a little bit but we kept our shape well and I think we fully deserved a win."

During the seven weeks that Spearing was out, Liverpool found a new manager in the shape of King Kenny Dalglish, and Spearing is very excited about the prospect of playing for such an illustrious figure and indeed his boyhood idol.

He added: "It's a clean slate for everyone, Kenny is our manager now and we have to listen and follow his decisions.

"Everyone has to try and get in his good books and impress.

"He's a massive influence and the stature that he has from his playing days and as a manager is huge. It gives the lads a lot of confidence and it's a big boost to the club all round.

"Kenny always has time for you and it's a great help especially for the local lads. We'll be working off his ideas."

Speaking on Spearing's return from injury, assistant manager Lee said: "He is a good player and it's no surprise to anybody here that he has been a regular member of our squad this season.

"It is great to have him back and he is chomping at the bit to play again."

No comments: