Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gerrard Will Fight To Keep Dalglish At Liverpool

Steven Gerrard says he is determined to ensure Liverpool's form improves dramatically so Kenny Dalglish is handed the manager's job on a permanent basis at the end of the season.

Dalglish, appointed as a short-term replacement for Roy Hodgson, has started his second reign in charge of Liverpool with an FA Cup defeat to Manchester United, a league loss at Blackpool and a draw in the Merseyside derby against Everton at the weekend.

Though Dalglish has only been appointed at Anfield until the end of the season, Gerrard wants to see the Liverpool board appoint the manager on a long-term contract. For them to do so, the Liverpool captain knows the team must produce consistently improved performances.

"I want to do everything in my power to ensure that he stays here for a long time, beyond the initial six months," Gerrard told LFC Weekly. "I'd love nothing better when the end of the season comes than for us to be on the back of a good run of results that ensures he gets the job full-time. That's my short-term plan, to give everything I've got and all my energy to try to make that happen.

"I won't lie. When Kenny rang to say he was coming back it was a big lift. I love Kenny as a person and I've certainly enjoyed the first few days we've had working with him. I can see a positive future for Kenny at the club.

"I think he's the perfect person to get everyone moving in the right direction again. He's the talisman at this club. His nickname, the King, says it all really. He's the perfect manager and also the person to bring it all together. It's time to re-group and for us all to be pulling in the right direction because this season certainly hasn't been good enough."

No comments: