Friday, December 24, 2010

Lucas Leiva Admits He Used To Be Scared Of Anfield Boo Boys

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has admitted that he used to prefer playing away from Anfield at the start of his career in English football.

The Brazilian international was seen as something that encapsulated former manager Rafa Benitez's final season in charge, one of the bad buys the Spaniard had apparently left the club with. But he has since won over the Liverpool fans and is now a huge part of the first team, with more responsibility on his shoulders since the departure of Javier Mascherano.

However, Leiva admits it was difficult at the start when the fans at Anfield got on his back.

"I liked to play there because we had the supporters, of course, but when you do not have their full confidence, sometimes you prefer to play away," Leiva revealed to the Telegraph.

"Then you hear things but you can blame the away fans.”

The 23-year-old said the fans booed him “only once or twice”, adding: “The rest of the time the fans have been very good with me and now I can see they believe in me. I feel comfortable, and when you feel comfortable, you play better.”

In the summer he was told that if a suitable offer was received for him then Liverpool would let him go, and his name was linked to European champions Inter after Benitez took the reins in Italy.

But Leiva is glad he stayed: "When they told me, I said I will try to find a club, but that I would not go just anywhere.

“[I said] I think I can be at a good club, since Liverpool is a good club and I had been here for three years.

"But I also said I would fight for my place, I will train, that I am a professional. It was not easy, but sometimes you have to be calm.

"A few offers came, but Liverpool did not accept them. I am glad that I stayed, because I am playing well, helping the team, and I am more important now than I was a few months ago.”

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson revealed earlier this month that Leiva would be handed a new contract.

No comments: