Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jay Spearing Pleased To Be Given Chances To Prove Worth By Roy Hodgson

Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing is enjoying life under the management of Roy Hodgson, as he has made seven senior appearances for the club this season.

The 22-year-old struggled to break into the first-team under former boss Rafael Benitez, but the new boss has given him opportunities - largely in the Europa League - to prove his mettle and shine for the Reds.

Now the midfielder hopes to repay the faith that the former Fulham boss has shown in him.

"With the new boss coming in, Roy Hodgson, it was a clean slate for everyone - especially for me, now that I'm 22 - to try and break in on a regular basis," Spearing told NESN.com.

"It was a clean slate for everyone, and I needed to show him what I was capable of, that I wanted to stay at this club and I was willing to fight for a place and be involved throughout the year and break into the side, a side I have always wanted to play for since I was a young lad. My aim this year is to start a new year and get more games.

"Since he's [Hodgson] come in, he stated his claim straight away. He's come in and showed everyone what he wants and how he wants to play. He's brought in a few players he wanted to bring in during the summer transfer window, and I think if he can, he will bring in a few more during the January transfer window, but we'll have to wait and see.

"He's come off very determined, and he wants to take this club to higher places and win trophies. That's what this club is all about.

"From my point of view, he's given me a lot more games to play, and I'm very appreciative of that. Hopefully, I think I've proven to him I'm capable of stepping in whenever he needs me. I have to say thanks to him for giving me the chance as well."

No comments: