Saturday, December 25, 2010

Aurelio Aims To Stake Claim

Liverpool full-back Fabio Aurelio is determined to stay injury-free during 2011.

The Brazilian's time at Anfield has been hampered by injury and this season he has been restricted to just four starts due to some further niggling injuries since re-signing for the club back in the summer.

But the 31-year-old, who initially signed for the Reds from Valencia in 2006, hopes his fitness issues are now behind him and is hoping to play a major role over the coming weeks.

"Looking at the past, staying injury-free could be a good target for me," he told the club's official website.

"But in the last few months I've grown stronger and I'm playing more minutes, so maybe I can have other targets too.

"I feel good and want to play more minutes and games. My confidence is improving as well as my match fitness, so maybe that's my target in the New Year."

Aurelio was set to leave Liverpool in the summer after rejecting a pay-as-you-play deal but he was offered a lifeline after Roy Hodgson replaced Rafa Benitez as manager.

The full-back signed a new two-year contract and although he admits it has been tough to keep battling back from injury, he believes it is a fresh start for him at Anfield.

"It would be easy to give up, especially with all the problems I've been having," he added.

"Now I feel I'm starting again. I signed the new contract in the summer and it is like starting again. I'm hoping this new phase at Liverpool can be better than the last one."

Hodgson will have to call on his fringe players as Liverpool face a busy schedule of five games in 15 days heading into the New Year and Aurelio is eager for a chance to impress.

"We have a lot of games to come because people like me are looking for opportunities and maybe this is the time of year to get it," he said.

"It's difficult for all the players to be involved in all of the games. Hopefully I can be involved and the team can get the points to push on.

"We have three or four games in 10 days more or less, so if we get the results, we can start the New Year in a much better situation."

No comments: