Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Roy Hodgson: Next Two Results Crucial To Club's Progress

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has said the next two games will determine whether they are moving in the right direction.

The Reds have beaten Blackburn, Bolton and Chelsea and now sit ninth in the Premier League, facing two away trips - to Wigan and Stoke - in just three days.

"If we can do well in the next two games we'll continue to look up," Hodgson told the club's official website.

"If we were to have a couple of set-backs, once again we'll be looking down; I speak for a large number of teams when I say that.

"It's so tight between the team that's third bottom and the team that's in fifth place; two results are going to make all the difference.

"If the league continues as it's started, we're going to see swings and turns all the time."

Hodgson also backed his summer signings to emulate Lucas Leiva and emerge as key performers.

He added: "Lucas is a young player and I have to keep being reminded he is not that old and does not have that much experience.

"People clearly marked my card as regards to many players and when I came I knew there was a prejudice against him.

"I have got to say I don't see what people really found to criticize in him.

"I find him very hard working, a very diligent player who works hard on his understanding of the game and team performances.

"Christian Poulsen, who has had a bad start to the season, is to some extent also a victim of prejudice at the moment.

"I am convinced in both of these players; we have really useful players who will serve us to great effect for the rest of the season.

"Maybe Christian will have to go through a bit of what Lucas went through but I know the players have the quality we are looking for and I know they are going to help us win matches.

"Raul [Meireles] is a good footballer and was very good in setting up the second goal for Fernando Torres against Chelsea and I think we will get a lot of use out of him.

"I am quite happy players like him don't necessarily get put totally under the microscope from the day they arrive because even coming from a top team like Porto it takes time to settle.

"Every player who comes here has to go through that adaptation process."

No comments: