Sunday, November 21, 2010

Glen Johnson Denies Rift With Manager Roy Hodgson

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson has denied there is any rift between him and his manager Roy Hodgson after the right back capped his Anfield comeback with a goal in the comfortable victory over bottom placed West Ham United.

Hodgson had criticized the England right-back last week saying he wasn't deserving of his call-up for the midweek friendly with France. Johnson, though, dismissed any fall-out.

“I didn’t need to hear it from the boss to know that I hadn’t been playing at my best, I’m an honest man and I know how well I can play, so it was nice to get a goal today," he told ESPN.

After marking his return to the side with a goal against the Hammers, he spoke about his delight at being back in the team, adding: “It’s always nice to come off the treatment bench and it’s obviously nice to come back with a goal. I missed the last six out of seven games, so I just wanted to get back into it.”

Johnson’s team-mate Dirk Kuyt also spoke about his penalty, after taking over the spot kick duties from injured skipper Steven Gerrard.

He said: “Normally Stevie is taking the penalties, so he gave me a little tip before the game and it helped. He said to shoot through the middle and that’s what I did.”

The Dutch international was also happy with his side’s performance, adding: “I thought that we played well in the first half, we were right in top of them and I thought that Glen scored a great goal. For there on in we kept playing football and creating chances.”

Some had labeled the Anfield team a two-man side, but Kuyt disagreed.

“Everyone knows that we will miss Stevie very much in the next couple of weeks, hopefully he will be back as quickly as possible, but I think today we showed that we are more than a two man team," he said.

No comments: