Sunday, October 31, 2010

Masch Explains Anfield Exit

Javier Mascherano says he quit Liverpool because of a lack of investment by Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Argentinean ace moved to Anfield in February 2007 and made 139 appearances for the Reds before switching to Barcelona in a £18million transfer this summer.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson questioned Mascherano's professionalism for failing to make himself available to play against Manchester City before his move but the 26-year-old insists he had to get out of Anfield because of a lack of investment from the then owners.

He told The Sun: "While Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United were spending big money, Liverpool couldn't because they had no money.

"The situation is clear to me. When you want to fight for big things, titles, you must have a big team to win.

"But, at Liverpool, that wasn't the case.

"That was the main reason we didn't qualify for the Champions League and all players want to test themselves at that level."

He added: "It is not easy to leave a team when you have been there almost four years.

"The Liverpool people and fans treated me very well. I cannot say anything against them and they will always be in my heart.

"But, though it was difficult, I knew my time there was over. Finished. I needed to go."

Liverpool have since been taken over by New England Sports Ventures and Mascherano believes the Reds can now push on.

He added: "I try to watch all of Liverpool's games on TV. They have had a tough start but I'm sure they'll get much better.

"There have been a lot of problems with the owners and this has affected things on the pitch.

"Now this has been sorted out, I think things will get better for the team."

As for his Barcelona career, Mascherano has made six appearances so far and believes he is settling in well.

He said: "We are fighting for three titles this season and have started fairly well.

"I feel I have settled in OK. After only two months here I already feel at home and the people are treating me very, very well.

"I try to improve every day and adapt to the team - but La Liga is totally different to what I have been used to.

"The Premier League is much more physical but, here, they prefer to play more tactically and technically.

"Coming here is a step forward for me and I am trying to do better."

Mascherano admits he would love to see Fernando Torres join him at Camp Nou but believes it will be hard for the Spanish ace to quit the Kop.

He said: "Torres is so good, he could play for any club. I'd like to see him at Barca but don't know if that would be possible.

"Liverpool's fans love him so much and he loves them so much too that I don't know if they would be able to part."

No comments: