Friday, October 22, 2010

Jonjo Shelvey Admitted He Is Hungry For More At Liverpool FC

Jonjo Shelvey admitted he is hungry for more as he reflected on his “memorable” first start for Liverpool.

The young midfielder rose to the challenge in Stadio San Paolo last night as he played a key role in the Reds’ 0-0 draw with Napoli.

Liverpool remain top of Group K and are odds-on favourites to qualify for the Europa League’s knockout stages and Shelvey hopes that means he will get to another chance to prove his worth.

He was one of seven changes to the side that had lost 2-0 to Everton last weekend but, showing no fear, Shelvey caught the eye throughout and vindicated Hodgson’s decision to pitch him in.

But while he was thrilled to have helped secure a confidence boosting result, the 18-year-old has made it clear he does not want it to be a one-off experience.

“It’s a hostile place to come and you knew that with the way the crowd were,” said Shelvey. “They were banging on the bus when we were on the way to the stadium.

“So it was very satisfying to get a result. It’s massive for everyone at the club. Personally I’m delighted as I’ve been waiting for my chance to show the Gaffer that I am good enough.

“This is a platform. The next task is to make sure we get three points on Sunday. The Gaffer told us we played well as a team and that we deserved the draw.

“You could tell Napoli are a good team by the way they moved the ball about but we had a game plan and it worked. In many ways, we were unlucky not to win as we had a few good chances.”

Signed from Charlton Athletic in the summer, Shelvey has been around Liverpool’s squad ever since Hodgson came to the club and he revealed the manager has been a constant source of encouragement.

“He told me personally to stay confident and keep doing my best,” said Shelvey. “I want to push on more now and get a few games under my belt. Hopefully I will get another chance soon.

“I’m not really someone who gets nervous and I have got faith in my ability. I know I can do a job and I’m desperate for another go.”

No comments: