Monday, September 20, 2010

Reds Ace Wins Star Prize

Liverpool FC's new Superleague Formula race star Frederic Vervisch produced a stunning performance to claim the top prize in Portugal.

In only his second drive in the red car of Liverpool, Vervisch claimed the €100,000 prize for winning the dash-for-cash Super Final.

What made the victory more impressive was the Reds driver had tyre problems but he showed all his quality to win the race.

He produced a superb standing-start and then a brilliant defensive display to hold off the charging John Martin (Beijing Guoan) and Davide Rigon (RSC Anderlecht).

Starting from fourth on the grid, the young Belgium made an incredible getaway to dive into the lead at turn one as pole man Robert Doornbos (Corinthians) made a slow start and was then touched into a spin by Tristan Gommendy (Olympique Lyonnais) which ended both drivers' races.

For the remainder of the five-lap event, Vervisch, who, unlike his two adversaries was on old tyres, fought desperately to hold off the Beijing and RSC Anderlecht drivers, using his superior pace out of the last corner to stay out of their reach on the start/finish straight, before they closed up to his tail again in the twisty sections of the circuit.

He crossed the line with an advantage of just 0.471 seconds at the chequered flag for a memorable win.

An ecstatic Vervisch said: "I'm speechless. This is the best result of my career and more importantly the money I have won means that I can continue in Superleague Formula for the next rounds.

"I'm really, really happy because I knew I wouldn't be the fastest in the Super Final and I didn't expect to win because I had no new tyres left.

"But I made a great start, tried to use the push-to-pass at the right moment and just hold on."

No comments: