Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jay Spearing Ready To Take His Liverpool FC Chances

It has become Jamie Carragher's trademark. Whenever there is a lull in the action at Anfield, whenever Liverpool are in need of a short, sharp kick up the backside, the shriek of encouragement to pierce the silence inevitably belongs to the centre-back.

Yet with Roy Hodgson's side spluttering after being dragged back to 1-1 by Steaua Bucharest in last Thursday's Europa League group opener, Carragher was on the bench when a similar battle cry prompted an enthusiastic reaction from the home supporters.

Step forward Jay Spearing. The 21-year-old, handed his first-ever senior Anfield start, could see Liverpool were in need of a gee up and his call of “come on boys, we've got to pick it up” came through loud and clear, both to his team-mates and the appreciative fans.

Yet the homegrown talent is acutely aware that it is actions and not words that will force him further into Hodgson's first-team reckoning.

Spearing has pinpointed this season as make or break in his attempts to lay down firm foundations for a lengthy Anfield career.

So far, so good. Having featured extensively throughout pre-season – including a brief spell as captain during the friendly against Grasshopper in July – Spearing has been named by Hodgson in both the Premier League and Europa League squads for this season.

While still awaiting his league bow this campaign, the midfielder has appeared three times in the Europa League and is likely to be given another chance to impress in tonight's Carling Cup third round home tie against Northampton Town.

And Spearing says: “At the moment I am really happy with how the season has gone for me. I wouldn't change anything.

“I've been given my chances and hopefully I have proven to the manager that I am capable of playing whenever he needs me.

“But personally speaking, I can't think that I'm just going to be playing in the Europa League and Carling Cup. I want to be playing in the Premier League.

“Obviously, playing in the other competitions can give me a confidence boost but it's the Premier League that myself, and everyone else, is aiming to play in.”

Of his call to arms last week, Spearing says: “It wasn't for any attention but it's just something I've always done in every game and in training sessions.

“I just wanted to give the lads some encouragement. I thought at that point in the game we just needed to get the ball down and start playing again like we did at the start of it.”

Under Rafael Benitez, Spearing made his debut almost two years ago in a Champions League win at PSV Eindhoven before a cameo appearance in the 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid later in the competition.

The following season came a first Premier League start at Sunderland while he later spent a loan spell helping Leicester City reach the Championship play-offs.

But last week's outing against Steaua holds pride of place for Spearing, who says: “It was a massive moment for me to start my first game for Liverpool at Anfield and I will take a lot from the game.

“I got a lot of confidence when the manager told me I would be playing and I went out there and really enjoyed it.”

Hodgson is using the Carling Cup, as well as the Europa League, to assess his reserve and fringe players, and is expected to make sweeping changes this evening with Brad Jones replacing Pepe Reina in goal and both Dani Pacheco and David Amoo among several hoping to see action.

“It's going to be as massive competition for me and for the rest of the young lads as well,” admits Spearing.

“It's a place for us to show what we are all about. The manager is going to give us a chance in the Carling Cup and the Europa League, and we have to prove to him that we should be given an opportunity to show we can do it in the Premier League.

“Hopefully we've done that with our performances in the Europa League so far.”

No comments: