Thursday, September 23, 2010

Danny Wilson Delighted To Have Jamie Carragher As His Liverpool Mentor

Liverpool defender Danny Wilson is relishing the opportunity to learn from veteran defender Jamie Carragher.

Wilson was named in Roy Hodgson's side for the League Cup tie with Northampton Town on Wednesday, a game which marked his competitive debut for the Reds.

The 19-year-old has already begun to pick up crucial tips from Carragher at the training ground.

"Jamie is great and you don't always need to speak to him about things because you can just look at him during training and in matches and learn," Wilson told the club's official website.

"I have been trying to do that and watching him closely.

"You can see the experience he has got and during the games he knows exactly where he should be and he tells the other players that as well.

"He is great in training. Every session he gives it 100 per cent and that's something as a young player you need to learn because he has been doing that at the top level all of his career.

"That is something I want to try and emulate and get to the level Carra has myself one day."

The former Rangers centre-back is also enjoying working with manager Roy Hodgson, himself a summer arrival at the club, and is settling well on Merseyside, a place he sees as similar to Glasgow.

"I've been here almost two months now and it has been great. I have settled in well, I'm enjoying the training and things are going really well," Wilson added.

"Liverpool is very similar to Glasgow because the people are very friendly and make you feel welcome.

"I was out shopping the other day on a street that looked very similar to Glasgow, so I felt at home. But I wasn't too bothered when I signed for Liverpool that it was similar because I'm just happy to be here at this great club.

"The manager has been great with me. He will talk to you and tell you what he thinks you are doing well and what you are doing wrong.

"It's good for a player because you need to be told when you are doing things right and wrong.

"All of the boys here really like him and we like the ideas he is trying to implement here."

Wilson has also enjoyed a touch of banter with Liverpool and Scotland legend Kenny Dalglish, still at the club in an off-field role.

"I've seen him a couple of times at the game in the main stand and he has been great with me," he revealed.

"Kenny gives me stick because he comes from Glasgow and I'm an Edinburgh boy. He has cracked some jokes with me about how Glasgow is so much better.

"I always point out to Kenny that even though I was raised in Edinburgh, I have lived in Livingston all of my life.

"He is a Scotland legend and it is great to be able to speak to him when I get a chance.

"He has always said to me if I need anything he is always there for a chat but I have settled in well so I haven't needed that, but I'm sure if I had any problems I could go to him. That is good for me."

No comments: