Sunday, September 05, 2010

Carra: My Mersey Pride

Jamie Carragher reflected on his testimonial celebrations and admitted the day couldn't have gone any better for him.

Liverpool stars past and present turned out to help mark the defender's 14 years in the first team on an occasion to savour at Anfield on Saturday afternoon.

The likes of Luis Garcia, Jerzy Dudek, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Gary McAllister and Danny Murphy all donned the famous red jersey once again as they secured a 4-1 victory over an Everton XI.

A host of Liverpool's most promising young stars were given the chance to shine in the second half in front of a crowd of 35,361 - and Carragher believes he couldn't have asked for much more from the event.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv afterwards: "It was a good afternoon. It was all about having a good day and I'm pleased Everton were involved, there was a good crowd and everyone enjoyed it.

"It was a decent, proper game. There were a lot of changes and Everton had a lot of young lads playing, as we did in the second half, so I think it was great they were able to all get a game and hopefully that bodes well for the futures of both clubs.

"It's always good to see your mates come back and I was delighted they all got involved. I'm pleased it went well for them.

"There's been a bit of graft over the last few weeks, so I'll enjoy the occasion and hopefully it's done now."

Carragher found the back of the net at each end in the contest - both from the penalty spot.

After putting Liverpool 2-0 ahead from 12 yards on the stroke of half-time, he fired the ball past debutant Brad Jones as Yakubu prepared to take an Everton spot kick in the second period.

He explained: "I don't score too often, but I actually wanted the first penalty to be for Michael Owen to score - I'd totally forgot people would want me to take it.

"As for the second penalty, I was a big Everton fan as a kid and always wanted to score a goal for them, so I've done that as well now and I was pleased with it."

No comments: