Thursday, September 30, 2010

Alberto Aquilani Reveals Inter Interest Before Making Juventus Move

Liverpool flop Alberto Aquilani has revealed Rafael Benitez wanted a reunion at Inter before he made the season-long loan switch to Juventus.

Aquilani, 26, endured a difficult debut campaign in the Premier League after moving from Roma and headed back to Serie A this summer, while ex-manager Rafael Benitez took up the reigns at the San Siro having also left Anfield.

Speaking to Mediaset Premium, Aquilani confirmed the Champions League holders were interested in his signature but never made an official bid.

Aquilani said: "Inter wanted me this summer, they tried to get me. There was something, but nothing more."

The Italy international reaffirmed his fond memories of Anfield and backed Benitez to continue Inter's imperious form.

"Last season with Liverpool has been positive for me, despite the injury, although it is not easy to adapt to a different style of football," he continued.

"I had a good relationship with the fans and I would have remained with pleasure, but some things convinced me to change and I'm very happy to have arrived at Juventus.

"I have good memories of Benitez. He allowed me to go to an important club like Liverpool.

"He's a very important coach who will do very well at Inter. To replace Mourinho would be difficult for anyone but Benitez is tough and the right man for Inter."

No comments: