Monday, August 02, 2010

Reds Confirm Aurelio Return

Liverpool has confirmed they have re-signed Fabio Aurelio on a two-year deal.

As exclusively revealed by skysports.com earlier on Saturday, Liverpool have decided to bring Aurelio back to Anfield just two months after he left the club.

The Brazilian full-back left Liverpool at the end of May following the expiration of his contract.

It was believed Aurelio rejected the offer of a pay-as-you-play deal to stay at Anfield after an injury-ravaged campaign last season.

However, with new Reds boss Roy Hodgson yet to secure a replacement for Aurelio he has decided to bring the 30-year-old back to the club after being impressed by his fitness.

"I asked the club to find out whether Fabio had found a new club," Hodgson told the club's official website.

"When we ascertained that he hadn't, we invited him back to Melwood so both myself and my staff, and the medical team could properly assess the player.

"We were both very impressed and I am delighted we were able to re-sign Fabio."

Aurelio has spoken of his delight at rejoining the club and he hopes he can play his part under the new regime at Anfield

"I feel very pleased and proud," said Aurelio. "It feels like I am signing for the first time - everything has changed so it is like a new beginning for me with new confidence and a new boss.

"Hopefully I can do well this season.

"My aim is to help the team do better than last season. Everything is going really well, so I think we can progress a lot.

"We have made some good additions to the team and we can be very confident."

No comments: