Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lucas Vows To Stay And Fight

Lucas Leiva is determined to fight for his place at Liverpool following the signing of fellow midfielders Christian Poulsen and Raul Meireles.

The Brazil international, who featured regularly under former manager Rafa Benitez, has seen a rise in competition at Anfield since the arrival of new boss Roy Hodgson.

Despite impressing former Fulham manager Hodgson in pre-season, it appears Lucas, the club's young player of the season last year, will be third choice for his preferred central spot this campaign.

Speaking after Sunday's win over West Brom, Hodgson admitted selling the 23-year-old was a possibility if a significant bid was received, but added he was disinclined to lose a player so late in the transfer window.

And, despite being linked with a move to Premier League rivals Stoke, Lucas is prepared to stay on Merseyside and battle for a first-team spot this term.

"What is the situation? I don't know. I'm still playing," said Lucas.

"At the moment, I haven't had any offers. I don't know if the club wants to sell me. I just have to wait.

"I'm going away with the national team (on Thursday) and I can't say any more than that.

"We don't have any games so we will be training for a week in Barcelona.

"If the club wants to sell me, what can I do? I just have to wait and see what will happen.

"I need to be playing and I want to be playing but I believe that I am doing well.

"The manager will choose who plays. I have a contract here and if I don't get anything good for me or for the club, then I will stay."

No comments: