Sunday, August 01, 2010

Lucas Ready To Fill The Void

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva is ready to fill the void of want-away team-mate Javier Mascherano.

Argentina captain Mascherano has been repeatedly linked with Inter Milan, who are managed by former Reds boss Rafa Benitez, and he has told club officials that he wants to leave Anfield.

Liverpool are reported to be following Belgium star Steven Defour as a possible replacement, but, having captained his club in the pre-season absence of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, Lucas is ready to step up.

"We know the situation regarding Javier and of course we all hope he stays because he's such a good player and important to the team," said Lucas in the Daily Mirror.

"We'll have to wait and see, but if he goes then I'm ready to play and to impress and do whatever job the manager needs from me.

"I'm not the same player as Javier, we have different styles, but I know I am able play the role Javier does because last season I played a few games when he was at right-back.

"I've no problem with doing that job, I know I can do it if that's what the manager wants. I think I did well last season, but I think in this one I can do even better wherever I play."

No comments: