Friday, August 20, 2010

Joe Cole Apologises For Missing Penalty In Europa League Win Over Trabzonspor



Joe Cole has apologized after missing a penalty in the Europa League on Thursday, but is keen to bounce back by helping Liverpool qualify for the group stage.

The Reds beat Trabzonspor 1-0 after Ryan Babel’s well-taken goal on the stroke of half-time. Lucas then earned a penalty minutes into the second half and Cole was given the chance to score his first goal for the club, but saw his weak spot-kick saved.

Speaking to ITV Sport, Cole admitted his penalty wasn’t the best, but is pleased to have won the game.

He said: “It was a bed penalty, I hold my hands up. It was predetermined [the penalty], but you can’t dwell on them things. We won the game 1-0 and we take positives from that.”

The former Chelsea star set up Babel to score Liverpool’s goal and is enjoying his new role playing behind the striker.

“[I’m] finding my feet in there, its my job to do that and make goals and it was nice to do that for Ryan and I’m enjoying my start here,” he said.

“I’ll try and do my best every game. I’m enjoying my football, getting fitter and getting stronger every game.”

Liverpool didn’t look convincing against their Turkish opponents and Cole insists the tie is not over despite the Reds’ advantage.

He added: “[It] wasn’t vintage by any stretch. A lot of players were changed, a lot of players needed a rest, but we’re far from through. It’s going to be tough in Turkey, so we’ve got to be on our game next week.”

No comments: