Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Carragher Credits Lineker Criticism As Reason Behind Form

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher claims criticism from Gary Lineker was the catalayst behind his man-of-the-match performance against Premier League rivals Arsenal on Sunday.

The veteran Anfield stalwart put in a strong defensive display against the Gunners to help ten men Liverpool earn a point and the 32-year-old claims question marks regarding his long-term prospects and ability to last the rigours of the Premier League spurned him on.

Lineker suggested Carragher was “on his last legs” at Liverpool, and Carragher indicated having read the Match of the Day presenter’s column in the News of the World, the defender was not “in the best of moods”.

The Liverpool defender told the club’s official website: "I read Gary Lineker on Sunday morning saying my legs had gone, so I wasn't in the best of moods before the game and I was more determined to play better than I normally am.

"You have good days, bad days, but we did okay. Later on I'll probably make a couple of mistakes and people will say I'm finished again.

"I made too many mistakes at the start of last season but I think I got my game together from the Manchester United game at home, from November onwards, so I like to think I had a good second half of the season."

No comments: