Monday, August 30, 2010

Agger: We Need The Competition

Daniel Agger today welcomed the imminent arrival of a new left-back - and insisted he would battle to hold onto his place in Roy Hodgson's team.

The Danish international has been operating on the left side of the Reds' defence in the early weeks of the season as the manager continues to look to strengthen that area of his squad.

With Hodgson admitting he is hopeful a deal to sign Paul Konchesky can be completed before the transfer window slams shut, Agger knows he could soon have a fight on his hands to remain in the starting eleven - especially given the excellent early season form of Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel in the heart of the defence.

"I've done the job but it's not really my place in the team," said Agger. "The boss knows it and I know it. But as long as the boss wants me to play there, I will do it.

"I won't complain. I will do the job for the team. If he thinks that I am the best man for that role, I will keep doing it.

"It will be good if and when he (Konchesky) comes in. He is a specialized left-back and I'm not. It all means that it is good for the team.

"We need the competition. It has always been there and it always will be. It will be good for going forward."

The Reds got their first win of the league season on the board on Sunday thanks to Fernando Torres' volleyed Kop end winner against West Brom.

"It was important to get the win and it was a great goal from Fernando," added Agger. "He will only get better and better from now.

"It was a hard day but a good day. We knew it would be tough as West Brom are a good team; luckily we got the three points."

No comments: