Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Roy Hodgson Arrived Too Late At Liverpool FC To Save Yossi Benayoun

Former Liverpool winger Yossi Benayoun has welcomed the appointment of Roy Hodgson as Reds boss – but the new Chelsea signing says the switch came too late to save his own Anfield career.

In a withering attack on former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez over the weekend, Benayoun said: “It is good for Liverpool Benitez has gone, but it is too late for me. I know everyone working there will be a lot happier and Roy Hodgson is a good choice.”

The 30-year-old Israeli international says the Spanish boss was his main reason for leaving Anfield earlier this summer, when he sealed a move to Chelsea for a fee believed to be between £5.5-6m.

“I made up my mind to leave a long time ago because of Benitez,” he rapped. “He never treated me with the respect I deserved. If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit.

“When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game.

“And when the fans wanted me to play, Benitez told me he couldn't understand why.

“There are many examples of him treating me badly.

“Last season, against Fulham and Lyon, the fans booed when I was subbed. They thought I was playing well but Benitez told me he was surprised they booed because I was not good enough.

“It was as if the fans' reaction worked against me. The situation got worse afterwards.

“He tried to destroy my confidence. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy.

“I felt so unhappy but, out of respect to the club, I never spoke out. The players and the people at the top of the club knew how I felt.

“I don't want to speak on behalf of other players at Liverpool, but people know what happened to Albert Riera and Xabi Alonso.

“It was the same for me. Benitez tried to break me like he broke Riera.”

Benayoun made 44 appearances last season – starting 29 – and scoring nine goals.

He was also responsible for eight assists, but said: “Everyone asks me why I left Liverpool. There is only one reason – Rafa Benitez.

“I agreed to join Chelsea before Roy Hodgson was appointed Liverpool's new manager.

“It's a dream for me such a fantastic club have given me this opportunity.

“On the day before the final game of last season at Hull, Benitez pulled me to one side after training and said: ‘You will not be in the squad for this game. Thank you for your three years of service, now you can call your agent to do a deal with another club.’

“That's when Chelsea made an offer and the deal was done before Benitez left.”

Benayoun scored the third hat-trick of his Anfield career – and the first in the Premier League – against Burnley last season.

But he pinpointed his ultimately fruitless Europa League semi-final strike against Atletico Madrid as the most meaningful moment of his Reds career.

“I scored against Atletico Madrid in the Europa League semi-final,” he said. “It was a really emotional moment for me. The fans could see what it meant.

“I couldn't say at the time, but I knew this was my last season at Liverpool and I wanted a special end.

“I thought: ‘No matter how the manager is treating me, I'm showing the fans the club is in my heart.’

“I knew I had to get away from Benitez. A lot of people at Liverpool treated me well and asked me to stay, but I could not turn down such a massive club as Chelsea.”

No comments: