Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lucas Leiva: I Want To Stay At Anfield Despite The Criticism

Although he admits he can't fathom why so much criticism has been thrown in his direction with regards to his performances, Lucas Leiva says he is happy to remain at Liverpool this summer.

The 23-year-old midfielder has been tipped to follow former manager Rafael Benitez to Inter Milan, after being constantly sniped at for his displays by some sections of the Anfield support.

However, the Brazil international insists he has no temptation to abandon ship and feels after putting in some solid performances last season he can go one better with the Reds this time around.

"I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season," he told the Press Association.

"I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season. I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my team-mates.

"That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticize me so much but I just try to be positive and be strong. I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season.

"I have to keep going and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects."

Lucas is currently at the club's training camp in Switzerland and his first impressions of new manager Roy Hodgson, who arrived in the Anfield dug-out this summer after leaving Fulham, have been positive.

"He [Roy Hodgson] seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game," he added.

"He will help everyone, but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game.

"I am confident we [Liverpool] will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better."

No comments: