Saturday, July 24, 2010

Liverpool's Attack Rivals Barcelona - Robben

Arjen Robben says that Liverpool's acquisition of Joe Cole puts their attack on the same level as Spanish champions Barcelona and claims Chelsea made a huge mistake in letting the midfielder go.

Robben, who played at Stamford Bridge for three years from 2004, has high praise for Roy Hodgson's men and says Cole will flourish in his new surroundings.

"With a front three of Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Cole I think Liverpool will be a real force in the Premier League,'' Robben told the Daily Star. "Last year was a freak year, but if those three click I can see them seriously challenging for the title.

"You look at those as a front three and you struggle to find a better front three in Europe - and I include Barcelona's in that."

Given Barcelona's frontline currently consists of Lionel Messi, David Villa and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, some may disagree, but Robben rates Cole as one of the best players in the world and thinks he can make a difference at Anfield.

"I read Gerrard's words about Joe being as good as Messi on the ball and I couldn't agree more,'' he said. ''After training with him for so long I can tell you some of the things he can do with a football are as good as anything I have ever seen.

"If Joe is now played in a more central position he will score and create a lot of goals, I see him as a real runner for player of the season. He is not just about tricks, though his vision is fantastic. The chances he will create for Torres will help Liverpool to have a trophy-winning season."

The Dutch winger also claims Cole's motive for moving was not the £90,000-a-week contract he signed with Liverpool and says Chelsea will be kicking themselves that they allowed him to walk away on a free.

"I think it was a big mistake of Chelsea's letting Joe go, and I am sure the fans feel the same way. At 28 even with his injuries Joe must still be a £15 million-pound player in the current market,'' he added. "I am sure Chelsea didn't want to sell him, he has already come out and said there are political reasons behind the move and I am sure we will hear more on that when he is ready.

"He loved London, he loved the Chelsea fans, and he loved the club so something must have really upset him for him to reject Chelsea's offer. I know Joe and the decision would have definitely been a footballing one and not a money one."

No comments: