Thursday, July 29, 2010

Liverpool Defender Danny Wilson Delighted With Move

Liverpool defender Danny Wilson says his move to Liverpool has capped off a "crazy" 12 months for him.

The 18-year-old moved to Anfield after impressing at Rangers last season.

"This time last year I was with the Rangers reserve team over in Northern Ireland playing pre-season friendly games," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"From there I went on to play 24 games for Rangers. It's been a crazy 12 months for me, but to get this move to cap it all has been fantastic."

Wilson was voted the Scottish Young Player of the Year last season and moved to Liverpool as they look to re-build under new manager Roy Hodgson.

The youngster is very aware of the battle he has to gain a place in the Reds starting line-up.

"I think if you'd ask any player they'd rather play than not play," Wilson continued. "I'm not going to sit here and say I deserve to push all these star players at Liverpool out of the team, it could take a while.

"It's going to take a lot of learning from me. I've noticed in training it's a faster pace down here and it's a different style.

"But at the end of the day you're a footballer and you're playing football and it's the same game. My main aim is to do as well as I can.

"I've not set myself any targets, but when it happens, it happens and if not, I'll just keep working hard and try and make it happen."

The Scotland youth international admits he knew of the Reds interest in him and he could not turn down the opportunity.

"I heard a few months ago that there was reported interest from Liverpool but nothing concrete," said Wilson.

"Once I heard that I started to get a bit excited but tried not to get ahead of myself. Once I heard of that I thought if there was a chance I could come to this club then I definitely would.

"Everybody knows Liverpool everywhere you go in the world, both the football club and the city. They've won five Champions League titles and 18 league titles and you can't argue with a record like that, especially in such a difficult league like England."

No comments: